Thursday, February 17, 2011

In Praise of Libraries and Librarians

I arrived in Seattle on February 1st; it's an amazing city -- "glamorous," some would say. The "geeky rich" permeate this city, and some say it's the smartest city in the U.S. But for me, I hardly knew a soul and "getting around" a city built on hills was no easy navigation task. If Seattle were an interface, it would be judged a failure. Yet there was one place that made a real difference for me, and I've revisited it almost daily -- the public library. This place is a common denominator, where all people are taken in without judgment or question. We sit at tables or in comfortable chairs -- reading, writing, computing, contemplating, and yes, sometimes snoozing. All are welcomed.

For me, it was my first days in the city. I didn't know how to get around. But the librarian at the reference desk heard the frustration in my voice when I asked about city maps and perhaps a guide that would orient me to the neighborhood. It must have been a slow afternoon, but this "patron-centered" librarian proceeded to draw a diagram to help me understand the city's layout. I told her that earlier in the day I asked someone for directions to one of the supermarkets, and the person answered "it's about a half mile from the water." What water? Seattle has several lakes and Puget Sound; the city is surrounded by water! My new friend smiled and decoded the water references for me, inserting them in her diagram. This librarian was my connection to municipal understanding and a modicum of security. She made me feel welcomed, shared a few locally produced resources, and invited me to obtain a "visitor's card" so I could check out books, DVDs, and music ("They'll keep you company," she suggested.)

Since then I've explored several libraries in the Seattle area, and currently I'm writing this from what has to be one of the best designed library structures in the U.S. -- the Bellevue Public Library. This place is amazing -- comfortable study carrels; private rooms for tutoring and conversation; an extraordinary collection of books, magazines, media, and interactive displays; an architecturally pleasing environment that creates the kind of library experience anyone would desire, and an energetic and expansive children's department (a library that strongly supports their children's department is a good indicator of overall library quality). It's the perfect place to begin writing my DESIGN PEDAGOGY book. I'm surrounded by inspiration -- other books!

Libraries, like national and state parks, are environments supported by tax dollars. They're public and available for all to enjoy. Let's remember these institutions in the context of anti-government rhetoric. There are things that governments do well; our public libraries are among them.

And while I'm on the topic of libraries and librarians, I want to give a shout out to my favorite librarian, my sister-in-law, Wendy Lukehart. She's the Youth Collections Coordinator in the District of Columbia Public Library, Washington D.C.

Back to writing...

2 comments:

  1. I used to live right next to the Bellevue Library. Glad you liked it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marty,
    I'm glad you like the library and that you are writing your book. However...are you moving? I was picturing those beautiful hills as a great place to walk up and down. Your movement warrior friend from IU is wondering about your movement :) Guess who? CKA!

    ReplyDelete